CNV.com Message Forums Forum owned by CNV.com Inc.
Wholesale and Drop Ship Adult Toys at SextoyClub.com
Sex Toys Affiliate program at AdultShopping.com

Go Back   CNV.com Message Forums > Affiliates: AdultShopping.com > Marketing, SEO Resources & Discussions

Old 02-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Post Meta Tags How to!

I often get asked questions about meta tags and key words. What are they? How to I configure them properly? Do they even work for SEO purposes?

Meta Tags- Key Words

At one time it was thought that using Meta Tags with specific keys would get you magically at the top of the search engines. Back then, meta tags did help with ranking, but search engines quickly figured out the people where using key words in their meta tags that had nothing to do with their site content or pages, and were abusing them.

These days, most search engine rely more specifically on page/site content, page titles and links from other sites using key words (back links) to rank your site (and or specific page). So, should you use meta tags (key words) at all?

The consensus is, yes use them but don’t abuse them. While they may not help with your ranking, they may as well. But, the key words you choose need to be relevant with your content. And, don’t use hundreds of them either. I have heard/read from others that you should only use a max of 10-25 key words for any one page. Any more than that is overkill, and you could also get demoted (penalized) for it in search engine results.

How to Choose Your Key Words

What is your page about? If you are reviewing Vibrators, then anal toys or dildos as key words have little use and search engines won’t like it. However, vibrators is a high ranking key word with lots of competition. So while you may choose vibrators, also use terms like vibrator reviews, or the type of vibrator: Sex toy Dave’s Rabbit Vibrator review, and make the key words relevant. Don’t repeat vibrators too much though, like: vibrators, rabbit vibrators, lottsa vibrators, best vibrators, snazzy vibrators, etc… as search engines could/will/might penalize you for that as well.

Key Word Tools

Here are some key words tools you can try (and no I’m not affiliated with any of them):

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal (helps you choose key words)
http://www.seocentro.com/tools/searc...-analyzer.html (analyzes your key words)
http://tools.seobook.com/meta-medic/ (creates meta tags for you if you are html challenged)
http://www.wordstream.com/meta-keyword (free trial for key word searches / research / analytics)

Adding Your Key Words

Key words can be added with commas or spaces.

EG: <meta name="keywords" content="sex toys, adult products, vibrators, enhancement products, dildos"/>

Meta Tags – Title Tags

The title tag isn't really a meta tag, but it is probably the MOST important tag you should use to describe your site. Search engines use your title tag when deciding how to rank your site and will use it (most often) as the text Title in their listings of your page. And, titles are also important in how they will attract your visitors.

The words you place in your title tag will appear on the top of the browser as the title of that page, when someone views your page. Also, when someone bookmarks your site, their browser uses those title words as the text to describe the link. So for those reasons alone they are important.

So how long and descriptive should your title be?

It should be short and descriptive and engaging (40-60 characters in length and shorter is better). It should actually have your site/page title: Review of Sex Toy Dave’s Rabbit Vibrator, and make use of key words or phrases: Sex toy, sex toy Dave, rabbit vibrator, vibrator, review. Don’t use unnecessary words like “Welcome”, the, a, and, or, it (all those nasty prepositions, articles (the, a) and conjunctions) as they will do nothing for your title.

Meta Tags – Descriptions

Meta tag descriptions are very important, but should be inline with the content of your site/page.

Meta descriptions should be 150-200 characters (which may be indexed by the search engine, however a smaller amount may be displayed). And, once again, keep it relevant to the page content.

EG: <meta name="description" content="My Adult Shop has the largest selection of sex toys online at affordable prices with discreet shipping."/>

How to Use Meta Tags on MyFreeWebsite

If you do decide to use meta tags, this is where to put them on Adultshopping.com.

Here you will see:

Page Title
Meta Keywords
Meta Description
Meta Misc (these are- http://www.metatags.org/meta_name_miscellaneous) and also are used for Google Ad words, and other programs.)

Add your meta tags there. Please note. You don't need to add the tags : <meta name="option" content="> Only add words, commas, descriptions, and periods for key words and descriptions.
Pop My Cherry Shop

Last edited by DominaDoll; 04-03-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Turnkey eCommerce Solutions

Hi DominaDoll,

Nicely put together, I'm sure this will be very helpful to all who take the time to read it and implement it.

I would beg to differ on the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominaDoll View Post

Meta Tags Ė Descriptions

Meta tag descriptions used to be important, but arenít as much anymore. They used to influence how your site/page was displayed in search engines under your main link (title). This allowed webmasters to control (somewhat) how their web pages were described by some search engines. However, Google and other search engines again got savvy to people using descriptions not relevant to their site, or just decided that the 1st paragraph on your site is more important. However Yahoo still uses descriptions, but could change this at any time.
Google ABSOLUTELY uses them and they are still very important. Especially if the following match and/or are relevant to one another (not in any specific order of importance):

1) Page Title
2) Meta Description
3) Content
4) URL

I, personally, would suggest webmasters use meta description tags on every page they want indexed.

Again, great list. Thanks for putting it together and sharing.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 AM

Hi SexToyWebsites,

Thank you for the correction!

Glad you thought the article was useful
Pop My Cherry Shop
Old 05-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominaDoll View Post
I often get asked questions about meta tags and key words. What are they? How to I configure them properly? Do they even work for SEO purposes?

Meta Tags- Key Words

At one time it was thought that using Meta Tags with specific keys would get you magically at the top of the search engines. Back then, meta tags did help with ranking, but search engines quickly figured out the people where using key words in their meta tags that had nothing to do with their site content or pages, and were abusing them.

These days, most search engine rely more specifically on page/site content, page titles and links from other sites using key words (back links) to rank your site (and or specific page). So, should you use meta tags (key words) at all?

The consensus is, yes use them but donít abuse them. While they may not help with your ranking, they may as well. But, the key words you choose need to be relevant with your content. And, donít use hundreds of them either. I have heard/read from others that you should only use a max of 10-25 key words for any one page. Any more than that is overkill, and you could also get demoted (penalized) for it in search engine results.

How to Choose Your Key Words

What is your page about? If you are reviewing Vibrators, then anal toys or dildos as key words have little use and search engines wonít like it. However, vibrators is a high ranking key word with lots of competition. So while you may choose vibrators, also use terms like vibrator reviews, or the type of vibrator: Sex toy Daveís Rabbit Vibrator review, and make the key words relevant. Donít repeat vibrators too much though, like: vibrators, rabbit vibrators, lottsa vibrators, best vibrators, snazzy vibrators, etcÖ as search engines could/will/might penalize you for that as well.

Key Word Tools

Here are some key words tools you can try (and no Iím not affiliated with any of them):

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal (helps you choose key words)
http://www.seocentro.com/tools/searc...-analyzer.html (analyzes your key words)
http://tools.seobook.com/meta-medic/ (creates meta tags for you if you are html challenged)
http://www.wordstream.com/meta-keyword (free trial for key word searches / research / analytics)

Meta Tags Ė Title Tags

The title tag isn't really a meta tag, but it is probably the MOST important tag you should use to describe your site. Search engines use your title tag when deciding how to rank your site and will use it (most often) as the text Title in their listings of your page. And, titles are also important in how they will attract your visitors.

The words you place in your title tag will appear on the top of the browser as the title of that page, when someone views your page. Also, when someone bookmarks your site, their browser uses those title words as the text to describe the link. So for those reasons alone they are important.

So how long and descriptive should your title be?

It should be short and descriptive and engaging (40-60 characters in length and shorter is better). It should actually have your site/page title: Review of Sex Toy Daveís Rabbit Vibrator, and make use of key words or phrases: Sex toy, sex toy Dave, rabbit vibrator, vibrator, review. Donít use unnecessary words like ďWelcomeĒ, the, a, and, or, it (all those nasty prepositions, articles (the, a) and conjunctions) as they will do nothing for your title.

Meta Tags Ė Descriptions

Meta tag descriptions used to be important, but arenít as much anymore. They used to influence how your site/page was displayed in search engines under your main link (title). This allowed webmasters to control (somewhat) how their web pages were described by some search engines. However, Google and other search engines again got savvy to people using descriptions not relevant to their site, or just decided that the 1st paragraph on your site is more important. However Yahoo still uses descriptions, but could change this at any time.

So use meta descriptions, just in case, but pay close attention to the first content on your page as well and use it (your 1st paragraph or alt tag for an image) to describe what you page is about.

Meta descriptions should be 150-200 characters (which may be indexed by the search engine, however a smaller amount may be displayed). And, once again, keep it relevant to the page content.

How to Use Meta Tags on MyFreeWebsite

If you do decide to use meta tags, this is where to put them on MyFreeWebsite.com / Sextoyfun.com. Log into your Admin and go to Customization. Do NOT use the meta tags under Site Settings where it says: HTML Header Meta Data. This is obsolete. USE the meta tags under the TAB : Customize HomePage.

Here you will see:

Homepage Title
Meta Keywords
Meta Description
Miscellaneous Meta (these are- http://www.metatags.org/meta_name_miscellaneous) and also are used for Google Ad words, and other programs.)

So these are the ones you want to fill in and use.

Why bother?

Good question! Since meta tags really donít have much influence on how your page/site is displayed or how well your page ranks, why use them at all?

Because they MAY, MIGHT, COULD, POSSIBLY, PERCHANCE help, but mostly likely will not. Kind of like winning the lottery, you canít win if you donít buy a ticket.

But then if you are super un-savvy with meta tags, you may just want to take your chances without using them and let your page content speak for itself, as using them badly could get your site banished into the big black hole of cyber SEO hell.

Personally, I only use meta tags for my Site, and not for my pages, although I do use a few Key words for each article. I pretty well try to make my page title important and the 1st paragraph descriptive of the page itself.

Content Rules!

GREAT - thanks for your instructions - definetly helpful for me...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 PM

Default using meta tags

do I separate the words with a comma or something? Can you give us some examples? thanks