CNV.com Message Forums Forum owned by CNV.com Inc.
Wholesale and Drop Ship Adult Toys at SextoyClub.com
Sex Toys Affiliate program at AdultShopping.com

Go Back   CNV.com Message Forums > Wholesale and Drop Ship: SexToyClub.com > Tools You Can Use

Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Question Your site: custom or off the shelf?

Hi everybody, I've been looking over the forum and reviewing the STC API information, which, admittedly, feels a bit dated and under-documented. Because of this, and the time it'd therefore take to get myself up to speed and write custom scripts, I've wondered what everybody else's approach has been.

Did you write your own STC integration scripts, or rely on the likes of STCtoCart?

STCtoCart, STCtoPresta, STCtoMag all look just about as dated as the STC API itself (probably not a coincidence), so other opinions from web and web app developers would be very helpful and appreciated.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightPromo View Post
Hi everybody, I've been looking over the forum and reviewing the STC API information, which, admittedly, feels a bit dated and under-documented. Because of this, and the time it'd therefore take to get myself up to speed and write custom scripts, I've wondered what everybody else's approach has been.

Did you write your own STC integration scripts, or rely on the likes of STCtoCart?

STCtoCart, STCtoPresta, STCtoMag all look just about as dated as the STC API itself (probably not a coincidence), so other opinions from web and web app developers would be very helpful and appreciated.
What is your definition of dated?

Is PHP dated? Is the XML format that the STC API uses out dated? I'm really curious what you call fresh, new technology and what makes it better then what is currently being used?
CNV.com
Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 AM

Please understand that wasn't a negative statement. I simply see that STC uses XML via HTTP headers when REST and SOAP seem to be so common these days. That's not a "performance evaluation" as much as stating what I see other people using. "Dated" may be the wrong word because REST and SOAP, including the use of defined schemas, come from the same time as standard HTTP data transport of XML.

I think the underlying reason for my question was actually the documentation around the API. It wasn't easily found, it doesn't define certain input variables (in this case, I'm admitting that I need idiot-proof definitions when working with APIs, that is on me), and I see some threads where the receiving URL for the XML data were updated and it looked (from this thread) as if not everybody was notified.

It's clear that a lot of hard work is put into the system, so my questions are just questions anyone would ask when exploring a new venture based on system interoperability... that's all.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 AM

STC isn't alone though... I do encounter this HTTP style of XML transfer in the logistics industry a lot. For instance FedEx and eCourier... they use the exact same style, and each has differing levels of documentation. FedEx being better documented than eCourier.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Hello NightPromo,

The STC Order API doesn't need Push, Pull or JSON capabilities or the ability to be on multiple platforms. It's just a way for our customers to take their shopping cart orders and send them to us.

Most of our customers are not high end programmers and using standard XML format and standard HTTP Protocols is much easier for these type of customers because they may have some experience with simple PHP / Perl programming. We're just trying to follow the "KISS" acronym.

As for the documentation, the link is in our FAQ area listed under Tools for members to use. If you have a more logical place to list it feel free to offer a suggestion.

Since XML Nodes are self descriptive, I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't define certain input variables" when the example XML has the nodes plus data in them to follow. If there is something in the example you don't understand, please specify what it is and I'll be happy to respond.

The tread you mention is from 2010 and I admit there was a communication problem at that time. From what I've seen this is no longer an issue, since STC now sends the information out in a Newsletter, RSS feed and in this forum when changes happen now.
CNV.com
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM

After a few months of delay, I was able to come back and look at everything again and did have a minor question about the API:

I know that REFNUM is the dropshipper reference number, but where exactly does that come from? I look at that variable and still find myself wondering what I'm overlooking by not knowing exactly what goes there.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightPromo View Post
After a few months of delay, I was able to come back and look at everything again and did have a minor question about the API:

I know that REFNUM is the dropshipper reference number, but where exactly does that come from? I look at that variable and still find myself wondering what I'm overlooking by not knowing exactly what goes there.
Hello NightPromo,

That is the number you provide, usually from your shopping cart order ID number. We will prepend your 4 or 5 digit dropship ID to what ever number you submit so it can be tracked in our system.
CNV.com
Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 AM

Thanks. I figured it was something simple!