CNV.com Message Forums Forum owned by CNV.com Inc.
Wholesale and Drop Ship Adult Toys at SextoyClub.com
Sex Toys Affiliate program at AdultShopping.com

Go Back   CNV.com Message Forums > Wholesale and Drop Ship: SexToyClub.com > Datafeeds

Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 AM

Default Simple data feed questions

I assume the stock info feeds are for members who update their sites more than once a day. Is this correct? If a site is only updated once a day, should they just use the main datafeed instead?

Why are there two stock info feeds, out of stock and in stock? Wouldn't one feed suffice?

How far back does the discontinued items list go? Does it only include items discontinued since the last main datafeed was generated, or does it continue to show discontinued items from older datafeeds for a certain amount of time before they are purged??

Last edited by timbuktu; 11-06-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuktu View Post
I assume the stock info feeds are for members who update their sites more than once a day. Is this correct?
The stock info feeds are updated every 15 minutes, they are the most accurate way of getting this information.

Quote:
If a site is only updated once a day, should they just use the main datafeed instead?
You can do this, but it is not recommended. If you make any sales at all, you run the risk of selling something out of stock or even discontinued. Doing this during the holiday's is very risky.

Quote:
Why are there two stock info feeds, out of stock and in stock? Wouldn't one feed suffice?
You're right, but customers wanted both so they got it.

Quote:
How far back does the discontinued items list go? Does it only include items discontinued since the last main datafeed was generated, or does it continue to show discontinued items from older datafeeds for a certain amount of time before they are purged??
As far as I can tell, it is never purged. We have products in the feed that were discontinued in 1999. So if it's in the database as discontinued, it will show in the discontinued.csv stock info feed.
CNV.com
Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the info. I know there's some risk of this. In my shopping cart app (Magento), there's a setting "qty at which the item is considered out of stock", which is zero by default. If I set this value to 2 or 3, it would provide a safety margin against someone ordering an item that has sold out since our last stock update. The downside is that we could lose a sale if the item falls below 2 or 3 but is still in stock.

Would it be possible to tell me, on average, how many items sell each day for the more popular products (e.g. 100 a day, 10 a day, etc.)? That would let me determine the best margin to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
You can do this, but it is not recommended. If you make any sales at all, you run the risk of selling something out of stock or even discontinued. Doing this during the holiday's is very risky.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I know there's some risk of this. In my shopping cart app (Magento), there's a setting "qty at which the item is considered out of stock", which is zero by default. If I set this value to 2 or 3, it would provide a safety margin against someone ordering an item that has sold out since our last stock update. The downside is that we could lose a sale if the item falls below 2 or 3 but is still in stock.

Would it be possible to tell me, on average, how many items sell each day for the more popular products (e.g. 100 a day, 10 a day, etc.)? That would let me determine the best margin to use.
It would only provide a safety margin if you had the exact numbers for each product and was able to subtract for all other purchases. What you're trying to do in that first paragraph is only possible with your own stock. Not with vendors that has several thousand sites drawing from the same inventory.

What good is an average for popular items if you make a sale for something not in the top 100. You do realize that 100 items is only .7% of the total products in ELD alone.

No, the most optimal thing to do is update the whole database every 20 to 30 minutes so you don't have items out of stock or discontinued. This is why the stock information scripts update every 15 minutes.
CNV.com
Old 11-10-2012, 08:52 AM

I didn't realize that the data feeds don't even provide the total quantities on hand and that the in stock/out of stock status is all that's available. When I posted the original question, I had assumed that quantities were provided and that your system was somehow tied into the vendors' systems, giving you real time updates.

I assume most members update inventory manually, but have some members successfully implemented automated updates? I'd appreciate any information you might have on how best to set this up. At a minimum, all it would need to do is update my site for items that have sold out. I'm not a programmer, so I'd have to hire someone to set this up.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I didn't realize that the data feeds don't even provide the total quantities on hand and that the in stock/out of stock status is all that's available. When I posted the original question, I had assumed that quantities were provided and that your system was somehow tied into the vendors' systems, giving you real time updates.

I assume most members update inventory manually, but have some members successfully implemented automated updates? I'd appreciate any information you might have on how best to set this up. At a minimum, all it would need to do is update my site for items that have sold out. I'm not a programmer, so I'd have to hire someone to set this up.
Some members do it manually, some do it with ready made scripts, and some get turnkey sites to do it for them.

For the later 2 see:

http://home-port.net/

http://sextoywebsites.com/
CNV.com