CNV.com Message Forums Forum owned by CNV.com Inc.
Wholesale and Drop Ship Adult Toys at SextoyClub.com
Sex Toys Affiliate program at AdultShopping.com

Go Back   CNV.com Message Forums > Wholesale and Drop Ship: SexToyClub.com > Datafeeds

Old 08-31-2012, 06:52 PM

Default Magento datafeed integration

Hi guys,

Are there any experienced Magento users here? I'm about to import a product datafeed into a Magento store I'm working on. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a guide or other source of information on how best to accomplish this with Magento, as well as more general advice.

For example, best ways to set up attributes, how to set up shipping options, listing items from multiple vendors vs just one, how to have the datafeed create attribute options automatically upon import (if this is possible), how to block out items from the feed that we don't want to include, how to update quantities for only the items stocked, is it better to upload photos to the host or use STC image links, etc.

Has anyone using the "STCtoMag" import tool? Is it any good? There isn't much info available on the developer. Are there any other useful tools available?

Also, has anyone setup their site to get automated, real-time datafeeds? If so, did you use an off-the-shelf app?

I plan to start with 100-200 products to get going, adding more once I have the process working smoothly.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Management, it might be helpful to include a 'shopping cart integration' subforum or a help section on this.

Last edited by timbuktu; 08-31-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Hello Timbuktu,

STCtoMag is suspended and will not be available until it is fully rewritten. I expect to be able to start on it by the end of Sept. and it will take at least 1 to 2 months to rewrite.

Magento is not a very good shopping cart to start out with, it requires a dedicated or VPS server where the owner can optimize the server for Magento's bloated database requirements.

P.S. Tools You Can Use is where the shopping cart discussions are normally held.
CNV.com
Old 09-01-2012, 11:46 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of Magento's need for at least a VPS. I'm on a Hostgator shared server for now, and will upgrade to VPS if needed. I heard that a shared account is acceptable to start with, as long as the # of products is kept fairly low. Initially, I plan to have under 500 skus. We'll see.

Which one of the cart services works best with STC in your opinion (Magento Go, Presta, etc.)?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuktu View Post
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of Magento's need for at least a VPS. I'm on a Hostgator shared server for now, and will upgrade to VPS if needed. I heard that a shared account is acceptable to start with, as long as the # of products is kept fairly low. Initially, I plan to have under 500 skus. We'll see.

Which one of the cart services works best with STC in your opinion (Magento Go, Presta, etc.)?

Thanks,
Mike
500 SKU's is very low, Magento doesn't seem to bog down until you get over 10K products.

I personally like Zen cart the best. For it's easy shipping setup and large selection of Free 3rd party modules that allow you to do most anything you want.

Prestashop would be my second choice, because of the nice admin, easy module installation and built in import system. However most of the best modules are not free, and for some reason the developers required a different image for each size, instead of just using one image and resizing on the fly. This slows the import of images during initial setup and in my opinion slows the rendering of product pages too.

As for your question about which one works best with STC. Once setup with some software to automate the process all of them work fine. It's really a question of what you want in features that come with or are available for the shopping cart.
CNV.com
Old 07-26-2013, 02:26 PM

Magento WILL need a large database back end with lots of memory. About 250megs for the database alone. Then another 128 for APC cache, then 128-256 for Apache.

Magento is a huge PIA and you'll learn quickly that it's not just a memory hog, you generally needs a ton of addons for it to work correctly and everyone charges an arm and leg for those addons. Even then, it takes a lot of CUSTOM work. When you can make Magento work, it's nice. However, it takes an extreme amount of work.

I suggest using another cart in production unless you know SQL, Linux, PHP, and CSS and HTML very well.

My biggest gripe with Magento is the crappy search. It returns irrelevant results.