CNV.com Message Forums Forum owned by CNV.com Inc.
Wholesale and Drop Ship Adult Toys at SextoyClub.com
Sex Toys Affiliate program at AdultShopping.com

Go Back   CNV.com Message Forums > Wholesale and Drop Ship: SexToyClub.com > Datafeeds

Old 12-13-2012, 09:01 PM

Default Data feed errors?

After having some trouble importing product images, I noticed that many of the image paths in the csv files contain extraneous decimal points that are not part of the related image subfolder names (see below). As a result, the images can't be found when uploading products.

"http://feeds.cnv.com/pimages/CNVELD/1699/13/13./1699-13.JPG"

Last edited by timbuktu; 12-14-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuktu View Post
After having some trouble importing product images, I noticed that many of the image paths in the csv files contain extraneous decimal points that are not part of the related image subfolder names (see below). As a result, the images can't be when uploading products.

"http://feeds.cnv.com/pimages/CNVELD/1699/13/13./1699-13.JPG"
Hello Timbuktu,

Those are the actual locations of the images if you follow the link you list above you'll see the image is located exactly where it should be.

Our directory structure has nothing to do with how you hot link to the images or affect your ability to copy them using a script.
CNV.com
Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM

The paths do work when included in a url, as in the data feed. However they do not seem to work as a path when images are stored locally (I don't know why it would work for one and not the other). I uploaded the entire image directory (ELD in my case) to my server, and used the image paths from the data feed in my csv file, for example "/ELD/CNVELD/6601/10/10./6601-10.JPG" and Magento can't find the images due to the extra "." in the path.

Folder exists: /home/.../public_html/media
Folder exists: /home/.../public_html/media/import
Folder exists: /home/.../public_html/media/import/CNVELD
Folder does not exist: /home/.../public_html/media/import/CNVELD/6601/10/10.
Folder exists: /home/.../public_html/media/import/CNVELD/6601/10/10

Do you know of an easy way to edit the csv paths to agree exactly to the folder structure? Or is it possible to get another version of the data feed in which the paths match exactly? Search and replace didn't work since the position of the "." varies from path to path and is not always before the fwd slash.

I don't think this came up the last time I imported products. Was the folder structure recently changed?

Thanks.

Last edited by timbuktu; 12-14-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuktu View Post
The paths do work when included in a url, as in the data feed. However they do not seem to work as a path when images are stored locally (I don't know why it would work for one and not the other). I uploaded the entire image directory (ELD in my case) to my server, and used the image paths from the data feed in my csv file, for example "/ELD/CNVELD/6601/10/10./6601-10.JPG" and Magento can't find the images due to the extra "." in the path.

Folder exists: /home/.../public_html/media
Folder exists: /home/.../public_html/media/import
Folder exists: /home/.../public_html/media/import/CNVELD
Folder does not exist: /home/.../public_html/media/import/CNVELD/6601/10/10.
Folder exists: /home/.../public_html/media/import/CNVELD/6601/10/10

Do you know of an easy way to edit the csv paths to agree exactly to the folder structure? Or is it possible to get another version of the data feed in which the paths match exactly? Search and replace didn't work since the position of the "." varies from path to path and is not always before the fwd slash.

I don't think this came up the last time I imported products. Was the folder structure recently changed?

Thanks.

Hello Timbuktu,

This is not an data feed error. It has always been like this. The data feeds are for hot linking the images or copying the images with an import script. Magento does not copy the images, it expects the images to already be on the server and then you must tell it where they are. Other shopping carts will copy the image and place them in the correct directory for example Prestashop and WP e-commerce plugins.

The image zip files structure does not match the data feed links as you've already found out. You will need to tell Magento the zip file structure and not the data feed URL links.

Magento is not for the novice. It's a shopping cart built from the ground up to be sold to major corporations with their own IT department. It requires it's own server and a team of professionals to run it. Why else would they state that the free edition is for developers and non-mission critical environments, then charge $14,420 per year for the Enterprise Edition and $49,990 per year for the Enterprise Premium Edition:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/product/compare

Unless you're experienced in running your own server and optimizing it so that Magento will run on it without bogging down the server. Then I highly recommend you to get another shopping cart that can be run on a shared server.

There are several shopping carts available that have ready made software to import our products and images directly into their database.
CNV.com
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM

I am already running Magento successfully and am now setting up a second site. It's not all that difficult to set up and run, if one is willing to learn. I also have a programmer I can rely on to help when needed. There are probably hundreds of thousands of small businesses using CE in this manner.

Actually, Magento does copy the imported images into its own unique directory. As far as the STC image feeds not matching the folder structure, I'm sure you have your reasons, but it would obviously be more convenient for customers if they matched.

Looking more closely at the data feed, however, it seems that simply replacing all instances of ./ with / , deleting all instances of .J and replacing all PG with .JPG will get the paths to conform to the directory structure. Does each and every image have a unique filename and therefore there aren't images in different subfolders that have the same filenames while relating to different products? Since the filenames are based on skus, I think this is the case.

Thanks.

Last edited by timbuktu; 12-14-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Administrator

The filenames do not always match the SKU number.

The image zip file has undesirable items removed from the directory because MS based systems can not handle dots in the directory name. However we use a Unix based system and receive hundreds of images per month and we use this system to ensure we don't copy over an existing image. The extra uniqueness of the directory is needed for this procedure.

If you have an programmer on staff, forget about the images zip file and copy the images using the data feed. It's a simple procedure to remove unwanted items from a string:

1. Open the data feed and read it.
2. Copy the image to a directory that is created on the fly, renaming as seen fit. You could even have the programmer use the SKU name to make it easy to find later.
3. Register that image path in the DB for Magento.

I think you'll find this is faster then uploading a zip file full of images too.
CNV.com