CNV.com Message Forums Forum owned by CNV.com Inc.
Wholesale and Drop Ship Adult Toys at SextoyClub.com
Sex Toys Affiliate program at AdultShopping.com

Go Back   CNV.com Message Forums > Affiliates: AdultShopping.com > Site Improvements & Suggestions

Old 02-23-2015, 03:12 PM

I have found the same thing on my stores - having the checkbox pre-checked increases signups quite a bit.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:34 AM

Actually, when we first had the newsletter sign up that was the method we used, and yes, we got WAY more sign ups. However, with the new SPAM laws in Canada and elsewhere, we are not allowed to opt people in automatically. They have to choose to opt in. So, that is why we had to change it unfortunately.

We are looking at other ways to entice customers to opt in, but it is hard because we can't offer a coupon code, as many affiliates don't want to give them out.

But adding better verbiage could definitely help as well as placement of the optin.

Maybe allowing affiliates to add the opt in code to their HEADER under the banner with verbiage about discounts would help? I find that opt ins in the header work better than in the footer or on cart pages.

I have also seen a few affiliates with their own lists use a pop-up. That turns some people away, but also works to get more sign ups.

Ideas?
Pop My Cherry Shop
Old 02-24-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominaDoll View Post
... with the new SPAM laws in Canada and elsewhere, we are not allowed to opt people in automatically. They have to choose to opt in.
While I know this would take a bit of time and resources, it should be programed to auto check the box via the customers ip address ... when I had my CMS I used ip address to block certain high risk countries ...

Better put all USA ip addresses should have the box auto checked

Quote:
We are looking at other ways to entice customers to opt in, but it is hard because we can't offer a coupon code, as many affiliates don't want to give them out.

But adding better verbiage could definitely help as well as placement of the optin.

Maybe allowing affiliates to add the opt in code to their HEADER under the banner with verbiage about discounts would help? I find that opt ins in the header work better than in the footer or on cart pages.

I have also seen a few affiliates with their own lists use a pop-up. That turns some people away, but also works to get more sign ups.

Ideas?
I think you are on the right track with all your ideas ... and would love to see any / all of them as options.

I would gladly give a 10% (whole order) coupon for an opt in ... Hell I used to give a "welcome" coupon of 10% just for creating an account (instead of guest checkout).

The funny thing for me and giving coupon codes ... I found that 50% of the time the person that had a coupon would not use it. Meaning they were not drawn to the site with the promise of 15% off, they are a repeat customer that has a standing 15% off code that they can use any time they want as much as they want and they rarely do.

Why do I say it that way ... because if you flood the internet with your coupon codes the customer will learn to look for them and will always use them ... but if you use them as a "thank you" / "welcome" / "we miss you" they don't cut into your bottom line and will work as the marketing tool they are meant to be.

On that topic ... I used to send out a newsletter ONLY to people that had not purchased anything in the last 6 / 9 months to say we miss you. I would usually do this in Sept / Oct to get my self fresh in their mind for the up coming holidays and offer them a special coupon code to encourage them to buy.

Discrete-Sensations.com

Last edited by Dan O; 02-24-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:52 AM

From our email marketer :

We don't use a pre-checked box because:

1) a pre-checked consent box is now illegal in Canada
http://enginedigital.com/perspective...m-legislation/

and

2) Although a pre-checked opt-in box will grow your email list at a faster rate, it will most likely be filled with non-engaged email addresses. -- which seriously damages deliverability (getting into the inbox and not spam folder).
http://blogs.bronto.com/commerce-mar...e#.VOzhG8bsfOk

Quote:
I would gladly give a 10% (whole order) coupon for an opt in ... Hell I used to give a "welcome" coupon of 10% just for creating an account (instead of guest checkout).

The funny thing for me and giving coupon codes ... I found that 50% of the time the person that had a coupon would not use it. Meaning they were not drawn to the site with the promise of 15% off, they are a repeat customer that has a standing 15% off code that they can use any time they want as much as they want and they rarely do.

Why do I say it that way ... because if you flood the internet with your coupon codes the customer will learn to look for them and will always use them ... but if you use them as a "thank you" / "welcome" / "we miss you" they don't cut into your bottom line and will work as the marketing tool they are meant to be.
We could probably make a unique list of affiliate who would want to give away a 10% for the above reasons, and then have code for them to add somewhere to their page for this... But Anne is working on lots of other ideas for this too. We are also working on unique landing pages to see if we can get more sign ups that way, and "offer" pages, currently being tested on Sextoy.com.

Quote:
On that topic ... I used to send out a newsletter ONLY to people that had not purchased anything in the last 6 / 9 months to say we miss you. I would usually do this in Sept / Oct to get my self fresh in their mind for the up coming holidays and offer them a special coupon code to encourage them to buy.
Yes, I've noticed other sex toy companies doing this and it seemed like a good idea to me. I believe this was something Anne was also working on...

TY!
D
Pop My Cherry Shop
Old 02-25-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
2) Although a pre-checked opt-in box will grow your email list at a faster rate, it will most likely be filled with non-engaged email addresses. -- which seriously damages deliverability (getting into the inbox and not spam folder).
http://blogs.bronto.com/commerce-mar...e#.VOzhG8bsfOk
I understand this statement ... but ... I don't know if it has as much truth as they are implying.

I have found that most people give a valid (while it may not be used very often and may be a secret email for Adult fun) email address when in the process of completing the order / buying process. Further more when using the emails gotten from a pre-checked opt in box used during the order check out process got me conversions from newsletters ... old saying ... 1% of nothing is still nothing ... 0.1% off a 1000 is 1 ... 1 is still better than 0.

Now I will be the first to admit that having "giveaways" / "contests" / etc to gain email address is a waste ... within the first 6 months half the emails gained are bounce backs and the conversion rate isn't worth the toy you gave away.

So in my opinion this is being stated as a generic statement that is meant to discourage fast / unsuccessful list growth that leads to being flagged as a "spammer". Otherwise companies like Best Buy / Staples / Rosetta Stone / Adobe / Disney / Dominos / HP / etc would not be sending out emails. If you have a person that is making the choice to be your customer you are over half the way there to creating a loyal client that will use you again and again. And unfortunately we have no other way to communicate with that customer in our industry than with the email.

Meaning most of the companies listed above are with you in multiple places Domino's (app on phone and magnet on fridge) / Adobe (built right into the computer you are using) / Best Buy (rewards card in your wallet) / HP (the computer / printer you own) etc ... we in the Adult industry are the dildo sitting in the night stand that has no name on it, and if it does have a name it is the manufactures name not ours. All evidence of the transaction with us is purposely thrown away so no one else knows what they bought. So to me the newsletter is the link to the customer that even if it goes in their trash folder is still a way of saying "remember me".

I'm sure Dave has had these same thoughts and most likely is what originally drove the "Sex Toy Dave" vibrating bullet. Dave was now in the night stand and was reminding them were to buy from again.

So while Bronto has a point, I'm not sure it is very valid for our industry.

P.S.

Bronto suggests these and I believe we have already stated these exact ideas which really suggests they too believe that the opt-in being pre-checked is VERY good if USED CORRECTLY

Quote:
Do:

Ask for explicit permissions. Don't assume people want to be added to your marketing messages just because they bought something from you recently.
Place the opt-in checkbox near the email address text box.
Set expectations. Disclose what they are opting in to and identify topics and frequency of mailings.

Don't:

Bury the fine print by hiding an email sign-up clause in your terms and conditions in order to purchase.
Hide why they are providing their email address.

Discrete-Sensations.com

Last edited by Dan O; 02-25-2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 02-25-2015, 02:01 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonnie & Clyde's

domina they had it all redirecting properly today for a shot time even the bookmarked home page...now nothing is being redirected not even products..its all screwed up..and again it was a customer who just made a purchase today and went back to the same exact link to show a friend what they purchased and now the link leads elsewhere not even to the product let alone the site..and i never did get the order processing e.mail..i wouldn't be in here but i guess they only check the contact us once a day !!

Last edited by Bonnie & Clyde's; 02-25-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:34 PM

Bonnie & Clydes- I monitor the messages all day, most days. There is nothing I can do while the tech team is working on your issues. You will just need to be patient.
Pop My Cherry Shop
Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 AM
Banned

i think a good suggestion for the newer sites would be language translation..Facebook and a few other sites already have this and it seems to work pretty well for them..also if net neutrality passes it may become a requirement or the site can be shut down..that part is a BIG IF but it is a provision in the bill being voted on today..seems like a great next step moving forward and digging into untouched markets..plus you would pioneer it for adult sites like ours that usually only appeal to English speaking people..
Old 02-26-2015, 08:21 AM

Bonnie & Clydes-

Currently, we have a few affiliates who do market in other countries. What they use is a language translator script which can be added to the top of your site. I think Google makes one? These seem to work pretty good at translating the language to any choice the customer chooses. I've tried them myself to test them.

So, that type of functionality already exists as a 3rd party tool. However, it is something to consider as an inhouse tool as well.

The only issue I see would be with newsletters, which would be in English, but there may be a translation tool for emails as well, not sure.

Some affiliates also use currency converters too, especially those who market to the UK, AU and SA.

So, there are market opportunities in other countries for sure. However, shipping prices are expensive, which could be a turn off to some customers.

Pop My Cherry Shop
Old 03-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Banned

Question

i would like to put in a custom footer but it does not seem i can remove the sign up for e.mails stock footer..and placing any code in footer section just puts it above all the stock footer stuff..usually this code would do the job it..now i am thinking its a sponsored link you guys may have to remove for me ?

.page-footer {
display: none;
}