CNV.com Message Forums Forum owned by CNV.com Inc.
Wholesale and Drop Ship Adult Toys at SextoyClub.com
Sex Toys Affiliate program at AdultShopping.com

Go Back   CNV.com Message Forums > Wholesale and Drop Ship: SexToyClub.com > Datafeeds

Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Exclamation Datafeed suggestion

Mike I have a thought/question ....

As I look at STC-02.csv it appears that the legacy category columns (carried over from stc.csv ... feilds 6 - 8) are no longer being updated ...

I would propose they be used again ... in a new way ...

Currently the feed has 3 fields dedicated to the category to place the item in the current / correct category ... Vibrators > Bullets & Eggs > Bullet Wands

I suggest that it would be more universal to use the 3 legacy columns in a manor like a category file would ... category id / category name / parent category

This type of information would allow a drop shipper to still sort items into the store and yet name the categories anything they wanted ...

Further more, and more importantly, if STC renames a category it would allow the Drop Shipper the choice of also changing names, or not ... since they could load their store via the category id number and not the name ...

Also assuming that the Tree gets adjusted yearly, this would again allow the Drop Shipper to NOT have to start over to follow the new category tree ...

Discrete-Sensations.com
Old 11-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan O View Post
Mike I have a thought/question ....

As I look at STC-02.csv it appears that the legacy category columns (carried over from stc.csv ... feilds 6 - 8) are no longer being updated ...

I would propose they be used again ... in a new way ...

Currently the feed has 3 fields dedicated to the category to place the item in the current / correct category ... Vibrators > Bullets & Eggs > Bullet Wands

I suggest that it would be more universal to use the 3 legacy columns in a manor like a category file would ... category id / category name / parent category

This type of information would allow a drop shipper to still sort items into the store and yet name the categories anything they wanted ...

Further more, and more importantly, if STC renames a category it would allow the Drop Shipper the choice of also changing names, or not ... since they could load their store via the category id number and not the name ...

Also assuming that the Tree gets adjusted yearly, this would again allow the Drop Shipper to NOT have to start over to follow the new category tree ...
Hi Dan,

Wouldn't using the newcats.csv / newcats.xml accomplish the same thing? They always reflect the current category tree and have a category id assigned to each name if you want to use only the id number for updating the category names.
CNV.com
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi Dan,

Wouldn't using the newcats.csv / newcats.xml accomplish the same thing? They always reflect the current category tree and have a category id assigned to each name if you want to use only the id number for updating the category names.
Yes to build the categories that works fine (great even) ... but when it comes time to sort the items into the categories ... well then not so well ... since STC-02 does not have the category id in it ... only the name ...

and the actual name of the category is not guaranteed to be found in only one column ... meaning on an import I can not just say look at field x and that is the category for this item ... I have to say look at field x + y + z and then you will have the greatest sort value ...

So if the feed were to contain the category id / category name / parent category ... should I want to sort the item by one of those I could ... thus giving the maximum sort in a single column from a single source file.

The other way would be to create a new feed but that seems a waste of time and effort since there is already a feed that has three non-used columns in it ...

Discrete-Sensations.com
Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan O View Post
Yes to build the categories that works fine (great even) ... but when it comes time to sort the items into the categories ... well then not so well ... since STC-02 does not have the category id in it ... only the name ...

and the actual name of the category is not guaranteed to be found in only one column ... meaning on an import I can not just say look at field x and that is the category for this item ... I have to say look at field x + y + z and then you will have the greatest sort value ...

So if the feed were to contain the category id / category name / parent category ... should I want to sort the item by one of those I could ... thus giving the maximum sort in a single column from a single source file.

The other way would be to create a new feed but that seems a waste of time and effort since there is already a feed that has three non-used columns in it ...
Hi Dan,

Moving this post to it's own thread since it doesn't belong to the announcement of New category Tree.

I think I see what your saying, this suggestion is mostly for the benefit of having your own category tree of names and matching / sort by a common ID for each set of names, so that you don't have to make changes when STC does.

Do I understand the goal of this suggestion?

CNV.com
Old 11-07-2011, 12:23 PM

Mike

In a nut shell ... yes

Discrete-Sensations.com
Old 11-11-2011, 08:33 AM

Default Side Note ...

There are Categories with the same name ....

Bondage, Fetish & Kink

is a great example ...

Video and DVD > Adult DVDs > Bondage, Fetish & Kink
Extras >Books > Bondage, Fetish & Kink
New Products > Bondage, Fetish & Kink

So if you have a import tool that only sorts be the Final Category ... you will get items sorted to the WRONG category (I've used an import process that does this, and it would place the items in the first category that matched the name, so some were right, but many were not) ... A category ID number would resolve that issue ...

Just another plea for a feed with category ID and product model and name ...

Again these are ideas that would make the Feed more user friendly to the masses and allow greater individual interpretation of the use of the data.

Discrete-Sensations.com
Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM

This must be the problem Im having with the datafeed. I dont manage the feed my self and it seems that my menu is not matching up to the sextoyclub site or the sextoy.com site. The host depends on the datafeed provided by sextoyclub and with all these new changes it seems that its not working right.